Counseling Centre Mission
To provide superior academic, personal, and career counseling, crisis intervention, follow-up, and referral services to our Joseph’s College students, prospective students, and community. All the students on roll have the right to Counseling.
What is Counseling?
Counseling is a process where you can discuss your thoughts and feelings about any issue (academic, intra-personal, inter-personal, developmental, career, addictions, etc.) that you face in every-day life. In this process you are assisted to explore and understand your thoughts and feelings better. This process occurs in a professional and confidential setting, with a qualified and competent counselor, over a period of time.
Making an appointment (How can I contact a counselor?)
1. By appointment: Counseling appointments can be made in person or by mailing to the respective counselor. You can choose a date, time, and specific counselor you would like to see. Appointments are scheduled a week in advance and become available every Monday at 9:00am. If Monday is a holiday, appointments will become available on Tuesday.
• Please be on time
• If you are late by 10 minutes, you need to SMS the Counselor about your delay in being there for the session.
• If you need to cancel an appointment and reschedule it, you need to call at least 24 hours in advance.
2. Drop-in: Drop-in counseling is designed for quick five-minute questions and information. Pre-fixed hour for Drop-ins are between 1:00 and 2:00 pm.
Contact Us (Where can I find the Counselors?)
There are two full time counselors and two part-time counselors.
Details of full time counselors:
Ms. Neeta Periera – Location: Humanities Block, Ground Floor, Room 008
Monday to Friday : 9:00 am to 5:00 pm (Lunch Break: 12:00 to 1:00)
Saturday : 9:00 am to 1:00 am
Details of Part-time Counselors;
Dr. Sr. Judy Lewis – Location: Science Block, First Floor
Ms. Sarah Crasta – Location: Humanities Block, Ground Floor
Office hours of (Dr. Sr. Judy Lewis)
Monday : 01:00 to 4:00
Tuesday to Thursday : 2:00 to 5:00
Friday : 9:00 to 12:00
Office hours of (Ms. Sarah Crasta)
Monday & Tuesday : 11:00 to 1:00
Wednesday : 9:00 to 11:00
Thursday : 02:00 to 3:00
Friday : 11:00 to 1:00
Send us the feedback at (firstname.lastname@example.org)
New Students & Rejoining Students
• All the first year students of the college will be met as class in their respective class rooms.
• All the students who rejoin will be met individually.
What can a counselor help me with?
1. Personal Counseling;
a. Personal issues related to academic success
b. Personal issues related to emotional upheavals
c. Relationship issues etc.
2. Career counseling;
a. Goal clarification
b. Career exploration assistance
3. College success strategies;
a. Time management
b. Study skills
c. Learning Preferences etc.,
4. Workshops/HRD classes on relevant topics
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
If I am having difficulty in a class, what should I do?
• Talk to your instructor (remember, instructors have time set aside to meet with students outside of the classroom).
• See a counselor to discuss other options available to you (setting up a study group, developing an educational plan, etc.)
If you are in crisis
Certain situations require immediate attention. If you are having suicidal feelings, or having difficulty controlling the urge to hurt yourself, or anyone else, you need to deal with this NOW. If you are feeling like you are unable to handle the situation right now, call an emergency line right away. See these numbers:
• SAHAI helpline for suicide prevention and Emotional Distress: 080 – 2549 7777 (10.00 a.m. & 6.00 p.m., Monday to Saturday)
• Vanitha Sahaya Vani (For women in distress): 1091 or 080 – 22943225
• Helpline for Street Sexual Harassment 080 – 22943225/ 22864023 (by Police Commissioner Office)
Neeta Gerosa Pereira