History of the College
The college was founded in 1882 by the Fathers of the French Foreign Mission. The need for instituting a College of this magnitude in Bangalore was felt by the catholic Missionaries and it was the vicar apostolic of the coramandel coast, the Rev. Dr. Bonnand, who propounded the idea, in 1841, in a letter to Rev. Fr. Bertrand. Complying with the order, the Foreign Missions Society of Paris bought a plot of land on St. John's Hill and gradually made the transition to the location it occupies today.
The Cantonment of Bangalore could now boast of an Educational Institution that would cater to the needs of the students, just as that venerable Institution, the Central College, was doing for the Bangalore City area.
Originally set up in 1882 because of the salubrious climate and strategic position of Bangalore and the need to administer education to the small Catholic Community, comprising about 1000 Europeans and 5000 Indians. In 1904, a swarm of full fledged bees flew from the mother bee-hive when the Indian section was separated from the European section, to gather they honey in friendly rivalry under their own queen, in their own hive.
The year 1937 saw the end of a chapter and heralded the beginning of a new one . This new chapter began on the 1st June 1937, with the blessing of His Lordship, Bishop Despartures. By an agreement between His Lordship, the Bishop of Mysore and the representatives of the Superior General of the Society of Jesus in India, the management of the College was transferred to the Society of Jesus with effect from 1 June 1937.
At the transition, the College Campus consisted of the one imposing main building put up in 1925 and it provided sufficient accommodation for the limited number of 350 students on the rolls.
In 2001 The college moved from the Residency Road campus to new premises in the erstwhile Hostel campus at the intersection of Langford Road and Lalbagh Road.
It was one of the five Bangalore colleges that were awarded academic autonomy in the year 2005.